Re: why doesn't vpath %.c subdir// work?

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: why doesn't vpath %.c subdir// work?
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:50:31 -0800

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:03 AM, Mark Galeck (CW) <address@hidden> wrote:
>>Why not use case as the marker, as in \some\path\MARKER\blah\blah? It
>
> Good point, but in my case, I have to use something that I may need to prepend
> and/or append to directory paths, without any effect.
> Hmm, this is interesting, thank you for bringing this up David.  I have two
> comments:
>
> 1.  This (and other) open source projects, are used in corporate
> environments, where
> certain version of the project is installed, and users cannot just download a
> new
> version without approval.  If I use a particular fixed feature of GNU make, I
> cannot
> populate it across the company without everybody else downloading the latest
> version,
> which in practice makes it impossible to use a fixed feature, until the IT
> department
> downloads the change for everybody, which can be very delayed.

So, from this and your previous notes I conclude that
1) your current solution doesn't work
2) you're not interested in considering alternative solutions to your problem
3) you're not telling us all the constraints that led you to the
solution you picked
4) even if GNU make 3.82 fixed the bug that breaks your solution, you wouldn't
   be able to use it.

I can only conclude that there's nothing I can do to help you.  Good luck!

Philip Guenther