Re: Rules with multiple outputs and intermediate chains

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Rules with multiple outputs and intermediate chains
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:04:15 -0500

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 12:13 -0500, Lane Schwartz wrote:
> Expected result of make all: foo.jkl is created, and all other files are
> created then deleted
> Actual result of make all: foo.jkl is created; foo.abc, foo.def, and foo.ghi
> are created; foo.abc and foo.def are deleted; foo.ghi is NOT deleted

It would be helpful if you could find a mail client that doesn't corrupt
your messages (by messing with whitespace etc.) when sending them.

I believe that this is a bug.  Please report this on Savannah.

> Adding the following line does not appear to change make's behavior:
>
> .INTERMEDIATE: %.ghi

The .INTERMEDIATE target doesn't accept patterns (and nowhere in the
manual does it say it does that I could find), so the above simply
declares the literal filename '%.ghi' to be intermediate.

If you declare foo.ghi explicitly, it does actually work:

    .INTERMEDIATE: foo.ghi

although I agree this shouldn't be necessary.