Re: Problems with multiple rules under 3.82

From: Mark Frazer
Subject: Re: Problems with multiple rules under 3.82
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 14:53:07 -0400

Seems to me that when I have a real target foo that is dependent on bar:
foo: bar
and a phony target baz later on:
baz: bar foo
will cause foo to start building before bar is completed.
If I change the order of baz to:
baz: foo bar
I do not see the problem.

I think this must be a bug in make 3.82.

I can make this one line change in my makefile:
docs: $(DOCS)
docs: $(HEADERS) $(DOCS)

This will cause some of the real targets in DOCS which are dependent on some
of the real targets in HEADERS to have their recipe started before their
dependents in HEADERS.  This only happens when all the targets are removed:
 starting from a clean repo.  If I remove the real target from HEADERS that
is causing the trouble and rebuild docs, the build waits for the target.

Note that removing the real targets in HEADERS from the phony target docs
will cause the real targets in DOCS to build properly as they individually
are dependent on the necessary subsets of HEADERS and other things.

I have yet to see this happen on a small enough example to post (I cannot
post my project).

cheers
-mark