Re: Weird (and convenient) difference between cygwin and DOS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Weird (and convenient) difference between cygwin and DOS
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 18:36:14 +0300

> Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:37:36 +0200
> From: Mason <address@hidden>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> But your remark doesn't address my main question: how do people
> create this kind of "portable" (GNU) makefile?
>
> Right now, I need the test to set the RM command.
>
> In Cygwin, I set RM = rm -f; In DOS, I set RM = del

is that the only issue that needs to be "portable", i.e. the different
commands?  If not, what other issues are there?

Anyway, what I would suggest is to ask users tell explicitly which
environment to use, like this:

   make foo ENV=Cygwin

Then you could test the value of ENV inside the Makefile.  I don't
think relying on predefined environment variables, let alone their
case-sensitivity, is robust enough.