What is wrong with this make file?

From: Hiebert, Darren (IS)
Subject: What is wrong with this make file?
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 02:09:19 +0000

Hello,

Can you please tell me what I misunderstand? For some reason, when I run make
with the makefile below, the pattern rule is not properly created to depend
upon the value of PREREQ. I have examined the output of "make -dpr" and see
that the makefile tries to evaluate the literal text of "$PREREQ" instead of
the value of the variable. When I replace the quadruple "$$$$" with a double
"$$", then the evaluations that occur during the "call" and the "eval" evaluate
the value or PREREQ at the time of expansion, but using the quadruple "$$$$"
leaves in the actual text of "$PREREQ" instead of a reference to evaluate at
run time.

Thank you,
Darren

-------------------------