Re: implementing emake's #pragma multi in GNU make?

From: Mark Galeck
Subject: Re: implementing emake's #pragma multi in GNU make?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:44:17 -0800 (PST)

Thank you Gerhard, this is great that we have it clarified.  So you want the
users to be able to delete intermediate files, and I tell them " that is not
supported".  In your case, indeed GNU Make seems to be deficient.  For me it's
fine, although, Eric has a nice feature there, no question.  In fact, Electric
Make is a fine fine product, the automatic dependency generation is marvelous,
as is the annotation file. I prefer it to GNU Make where I have a choice.

By "not supported", what I tell my users is, "I know you will take shortcuts
and do things you are not supposed to do, that's OK, as long as you understand
what you are doing and understand that I won't unscrew you if you mess up - in
that case, use clean and redo the full build".  That is what clean is for.  In
fact I tell them, to _not_ use clean for any other purpose - if they _think_
the build "is not working", inform me so I can see what is happpening.  Of
course they also don't do that, they clean first and ask questions later.    I
 Yes I tell them to use clean - ONLY, when they have messed up as I told them
not to.