make: unlink: Operation not permitted - why?

From: nollam
Subject: make: unlink: Operation not permitted - why?
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:26:31 -0800 (PST)

Consider the following typescript:

Script started on Fri Feb 15 14:21:53 2013

$ ls
makefile    typescript
$ cat makefile
all:  a.booklet

%.booklet: %.common
    mkdir -p $@/a

%.common:
    mkdir -p $@/b
$ make
mkdir -p a.common/b
mkdir -p a.booklet/a
rm a.commonmake: unlink: a.common: Operation not permitted

Script done on Fri Feb 15 14:22:30 2013

I cannot fathom why make is complaining.  Note that I am not creating the
directories in the same place, as $@ evaluates to two different paths ---
just look at the output trace from make.  And there is nothing else in the
directory.

I'd guess that make is trying to remove a.common and unlink is failing
because it is a directory.  But why?  If I replace mkdir with echo, then
there is no attempt by make to rm.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
-- dave