how to achieve conversion to uppercase

From: Matej Kosik
Subject: how to achieve conversion to uppercase
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 10:09:06 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to convert words to upper case.

Make itself does not seem to have dedicated function for this particular task,
unless I am mistaken, so I guess I had to rely on bash.

In bash, something like this:

  var=foo; echo ${var^}

works fine. I get:

  Foo

However, if I try to embed this command with my makefile like this:

  $(shell var=foo; echo $${var^})

then I get:

  /bin/sh: 1: Bad substitution

I am not sure what exactly that string expands to by make before it is passed
to bash so I am not sure which escape characters are missing (if that is the
problem).

---

Thank you in advance for any help.