Re: Does the make clean -f path/to/makefile and make clean path/to/makef

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Does the make clean -f path/to/makefile and make clean path/to/makefile clean equivalent?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 03:37:33 -0400

On Mon, 2014-03-31 at 11:27 +0800, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> When I read in specific FILE as a makefile, does the following usages
> equivalent:
>
> make clean -f path/to/makefile
> and
> make clean path/to/makefile clean

I'm not sure I understand the question, but no, definitely it's not the
same thing to use "-f path/to/makefile" versus just "path/to/makefile"
without the -f option.

With "-f" it means "parse this file as the makefile".

Without "-f" it means "find the default makefile (e.g., "Makefile" or
"makefile") and parse that, then using those rules try to build the
target "path/to/makefile"."