Re: Using GNU make jobserver from GCC

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Using GNU make jobserver from GCC
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:05:45 -0400

On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 17:46 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 06:39:25 +0200
> > From: Jan Hubicka <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Jan Hubicka <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> >
> > Since GCC supports Windows, too, I would love to have generic solution.
>
> If you define an interface that does not talk specifically about
> reading or writing bytes to a pipe, the implementation that works on
> both Posix and Windows should not be hard.  After all, what you really
> want is a semaphore with a count in a typical producer/consumer
> situation.

I agree in principle: the read/write vs. semaphore etc. should be easy
to abstract.  However the added complexity of dealing with SIGCHLD
handling while waiting on the pipe in POSIX might not be so simple to
extract into a generic interface, given the complex behaviors in job.c.
I don't know that for a fact, though, not having investigated; perhaps
it wouldn't be too difficult.