Re: Help on command overriding

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Help on command overriding
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 16:32:39 -0500

On Sat, 2016-03-05 at 10:48 +0100, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> The default behavior is to ignore the first recipes and only execute the
> latter. This is exactly what I want, however make always issues the warning:
> Makefile:1219: warning: overriding recipe for target 'libfoo.la'
> Makefile:762: warning: ignoring old recipe for target 'libfoo.la'
>
> Is there a better way to do this, or at least a way to disable the
> warning (ideally only for the libfoo.la target)?

There is no way to disable the warning.

As for another way to handle this, it sounds more like an automake
question than a GNU make question, since you will have to convince
automake to not generate the unwanted target.

Is it enough to just list the target without a recipe:

  local_targets = libfoo.la
  $(local_targets):
          $(MAKE) -C .. foo/$@

  libfoo.la:

to keep automake from generating the default rule?

If not I suggest asking on the automake mailing lists.