comments on the patch for a .SERIAL target (https://savannah.gnu.org/pat

From: Grothausmann, Roman Dr.
Subject: comments on the patch for a .SERIAL target (https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?5108)
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 13:00:53 +0100

Dear mailing list members,

Basically I just want to post a comment on the patch for a .SERIAL target (https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?5108) that I've applied the proposed patch to make's git-repo for the releases 3.81, 3.82, 4.0 and 4.1:
https://github.com/romangrothausmann/make/branches
It seems to work as expected but savannah tells me: "You are not allowed to post comments on this tracker with your current authentification level."

I've up-voted this contribution because it seems to be the essential solution to often reoccurring problems I have when (mis-) using GNU-Make for image-processing. In contrast to make's common use to compile source-code I use make to run CLIs for 3D image processing (see e.g. https://github.com/romangrothausmann/ITK-CLIs). For tomographic datasets of about 10GB some sophisticated commands need more than 50% of our 256GB of RAM so that multiple such jobs lead to thrashing during swapping or get killed by the kernel's OOM-killer. However, many other jobs do not need so much memory and can perfectly run in parallel which for our 24 CPUs gives a significant reduction in total processing time. As pointed out on https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42288 an option to limit started jobs by current mem usage is very tricky (which I understand) so Cesar Crusius' contribution to "manually" mark some rules to not run in parallel would be a great feature. A possible improvement to that feature would be to even work for dependencies that get created by make from Makefiles in subdirectories. Currently, I only get the intended behaviour by coping and adjusting the .SERIAL target line from the Makefile in the sub-dir to the Makefile of the main-dir

Regards,
Roman

--
Dr. Roman Grothausmann

Tomographie und Digitale Bildverarbeitung
Tomography and Digital Image Analysis

Institut für Funktionelle und Angewandte Anatomie, OE 4120
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Carl-Neuberg-Str. 1
D-30625 Hannover

Tel. +49 511 532-2900