Re: Make opens Android Studio

From: Sideboard
Subject: Re: Make opens Android Studio
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 23:35:55 +0100

Hy!

On 21.03.2016 21:47, Bob Proulx wrote:
> The command you invoked from the command line is not "the command that
> make is invoking".  You are invoking 'make'.  The command that make is
> invoking is configured in the Makefile that tells make what to do.  It
> is the Makefile information which is missing.

Sorry, I misunderstood that.

>> > For the partial compilation I intend, it
>> > will be `make M=/path/to/source/sound/usb' but Android Studio (AS) is
>> > also opened with the plain command so I went with that for the initial
>> > message.
> An error in the make rules breaking an assembler call $(AS) and
> invoking "AS" instead of the value of AS?  Just guessing.

That is a very good guess. I thought I had that covered when commenting
out an alias 'as' in my .bashrc. But I just found a symlink $HOME/bin/as
pointing to the Android Studio executable. When I rename it, `make'
compiles again.

I thought I found the culprit in the initial Makefile: AS =
$(CROSS_COMPILE)as
But even when changing that to the full path the error occurs. Turns out
`gcc' calls `as' and thereby executes the symlinked Android Studio. This
also works with an alias 'as'.

I'm not sure whether that is the intended behavior to keep it
customizable or if some edge-case was overlooked. Should I report that
to the gcc list?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Sideboard