msys2: Resource temporarily unavailable

From: thutt
Subject: msys2: Resource temporarily unavailable
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 17:45:59 -0700

Hello everyone,

  We are using Gnu Make 4.1 from a somewhat recent installation of
  msys2 as part of a very large build system.

  We are periodically seeing:

    make: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

  We don't know the specific conditions to reproduce the mesasge,
  yet.

  This message appears to be produced by the msys2 runtime library.
  It corresponds to EAGAIN.

  Because I haven't figured out how to get the sources for Make into
  my local msys2 installation, I've been looking at the Make 4.1
  sources on Linux.  I can't find a reference to fork, and the code is
  so heavily conditionalize it's really hard to read and figure out
  what is supposed to happen if 'fork' failed.

  So, I came here to ask:

    On cygwin/msys, if this message is seen on the console, what
    should I expect to happen?

    Does make try again?
    Does make immediately exit with a return code of 2?
    Something else?

thanks,
thutt
--
The sixth Sheik's sixth sick sheep died of hoof and mouth disease.