encoding problem with ezwinports make but not msys make

From: Tomas Nordin
Subject: encoding problem with ezwinports make but not msys make
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 21:33:58 +0100

Hi Make

At work on a windows machine I have two versions of make. One from the
ezwinports and one installed via the msys2 pacman package manager. Using
text including non-ascii works fine with the latter but not the former.
Below an attempt to describe what happens:

--------8<--------
<user>@<node> MSYS ~/slask
$ make --version
GNU Make 4.2.1
Built for x86_64-pc-msys
Copyright (C) 1988-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

<user>@<NODE> MSYS ~/slask
$ /c/usr/bin/make.exe --version
GNU Make 4.2.1
Built for Windows32
Copyright (C) 1988-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

$ cat Makefile
.PHONY: fiske
fiske:
        echo "Jag går och fiskar även på denna ö"

$ make fiske
echo "Jag går och fiskar även på denna ö"
Jag går och fiskar även på denna ö

<user>@<NODE> MSYS ~/slask
$ /c/usr/bin/make.exe fiske
echo "Jag g Ñr och fiskar  ñven p Ñ denna  Â"
Jag går och fiskar även på denna ö

$ file Makefile
Makefile: UTF-8 Unicode text, with CRLF line terminators

I hope the problem text in the description above is blurred in a similar
way for you as for me so it is understandable.

I wonder if someone on this list know how to get the ezwinports make to
interpret the Makefile text as utf-8. If that is the problem, else
otherwise guide me how to get it to work with that port.

Best regards
--
Tomas