RE: ignore specific file in VPATH/vpath

From: Jannick
Subject: RE: ignore specific file in VPATH/vpath
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 14:01:32 +0200

Paul,

Many thanks for the clarifications.

After going through all that everything is just fine from my side as well!

On Thu, 10 May 2018 07:07:54 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-05-09 at 14:30 +0200, Jannick wrote:
> > Separately, an additional note: make's YACC built-in recipe
> >
> > %.c: %.y
> > #  recipe to execute (built-in):
> >         $(YACC.y) $<
> >          mv -f y.tab.c $@
> >
> > appears to assume that YACC/bison's output file name defaults to y.tab.c.
> > However, it is $*.tab.c for bison >= 3.0 (at least).
>
> Can you tell us what your makefile is using for a "yacc" command?

In my makefile YACC is overridden by 'bison' which ultimately does not see any
'-y' flag (!), such that the redefined YACC and the built-in rule need not be
compatible with each other. Since they aren’t, a user-defined rule is required
for '%.c: %y' (option (c) below).

> Basically it's up to you to either (a) use a standard-conforming "yacc"
> command, or (b) modify the YACC variable so that it contains a standard-
> conforming yacc command, or (c) rewrite the rule to use a different yacc
> command.

> Or of course you can use option (c), as you've done, and rewrite the rule to
> use whatever output you like.

BTW: Did you have by any chance some time to have a quick look at my example? I
would be curious if there are other sweet and clean solutions for it probably
using some deep make subtleties I am not aware of?

Many thanks again for the links, in particular, and sorry for the noise.

Regards,
J.