easiest way to do simultaneous builds with different options from same d

From: thutt
Subject: easiest way to do simultaneous builds with different options from same dir?
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 05:49:18 -0700

Britton Kerin writes:
 > I'm frequently rebuilding and uploading both ends of a tx/rx system
 > and it's just slow enough to be annoying.  I'd like to rebuild the Tx
 > and Rx ends in parallel but they need different build options for the
 > same sources.
 >
 > I'm guessing the easiest approach is to do cp -r or so from a script
 > and run make from there, and the tree is small enough that that will
 > probably work ok, but I'm curious if anyone has a trick to do it in
 > place somehow to avoid the cp and full rebuild of everything?
 > Something like automagically injecting $$ into all non-phony targets
 > or something?

 Although you haven't provided a lot of information, I will assume
 that Tx & Rx are both building in the shared source directories.
 This prevents parallel builds because the object files will collide.

 If this is the case, I suggest building in different directories and
 using VPATH to teach Make how to find the sources.

 Alternatively, you can keep the same basic Make structure, but add a
 variable that causes build output to go to a different directory for
 Tx and Rx.

thutt
--
My serverless microservice runs in the blockchain.