Feature Request: option to delete all out of date targets

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: Feature Request: option to delete all out of date targets
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 04:03:00 +0000

Hallo, Paul & Make cognoscenti,

It seem GNU Make does not provide a way to detect and remove out of date
targets.

It also seems that providing such a capability would be consistent with the
purpose of Make.

I think what I am asking for is an option that identifies the identical targets
as does `--touch` but instead of `touch`ing the identified targets, it deletes
them.

I often find myself in a position of not wanting (yet) to re-make out of date
targets, but to simply remove them.  FWIW, if it matters to the consideration,
I wish for this mainly when using make in less conventional ways - as a means
of implementing a scientific workflow.

Thoughts? Considerations?

Thanks,

Malcolm Cook