Re: Order-only prereq versus sampling of target up-to-dateness.

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Order-only prereq versus sampling of target up-to-dateness.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 15:29:41 -0400

On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 10:01 -0700, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
>     retest:
>          rm -rf tst
>          $(MAKE) tests
>
> rather than trying to be clever. I'm still interested in the order-
> only prerequisite issue.

Heh.  For some reason your second email didn't show up for a while
after the first.

Anyway, I don't really understand the order-only prereq issue you are
positing.  Maybe you can reply focused solely on that issue.

However, OO prerequisites are treated _EXACTLY_ like any other
prerequisite.  They are considered, ordered, and rebuilt the same way.
The only difference is that after all prerequisites (normal and OO) are
completed, when make is checking to see if any prerequisites are newer
than the target, the OO prerequisites are ignored during that check.

That's the only difference.