Re: Why does the shell I invoke Make with have an effect on its output?

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: Why does the shell I invoke Make with have an effect on its output?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 15:23:25 -0800

On 2022-03-08 13:37, Peter0x44 wrote:
But the rules Make applies are supposed to follow the semantics of the
shell that Make would have invoked. So if you have sh.exe on PATH, I
think Make will try to use the Posix shell semantics.
So, there is there no way to tell which shell Make is trying to invoke/follow
the semantics of in my Makefile?

That's all I really want to know.

This topic is covered in the GNU Make manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/make.html#Choosing-the-Shell

I suspect any of these aspects could be influenced by exactly how GNU Make
is ported to Windows. As an example, I wouldn't expect GNU Make ported
to a POSIX environment on Windows like Cygwin to follow this.

I believe the documentation refers to a version of GNU Make built
for Windows according to one of the project's own recommended
methods:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/make.git/tree/README.W32.template