Re: Question WHY is gnu make does not stop on error on rule

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Question WHY is gnu make does not stop on error on rule
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 13:10:21 -0500

On Thu, 2022-12-08 at 09:25 -0800, Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> > but in reality the "-silent" switch even disable the "fail-on-
> > error" feature
>
> Rathern, I suspect yuo have something in the Makefile
> which inspects the flags (MAKEFLAGS variable), and produces different
> behavior.

Agreed.  It's definitely NOT the case that the silent switch will
disable fail-on-error.

Example:

  $ cat Makefile
  all: ; false

  $ make --version
  GNU Make 4.4
  Build for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu

  $ make
  false
  make: *** [Makefile:1: all] Error 1

  $ make -s
  make: *** [Makefile:1: all] Error 1

You can see that even with -s we still get a failure.

You will have to keep looking at your makefiles to figure out what the
real problem is.  I agree with Kaz; you should search your makefiles
for places where you try to parse MAKEFLAGS since the contents of
MAKEFLAGS changed in 4.4.