Evaluation and expansion

From: Bartłomiej Wójcik
Subject: Evaluation and expansion
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 00:14:50 +0200

Hi,

I would like to ask you for help with clarifying the idea of evaluation and
expansion related to makefile. As I understand, expansion refers to
replacing macro reference by its value and there are two possible ways of
expansion - *immediate* and *deferred* which depends on the construction
itself. I also found that in the *immediate* context the expansion is done
before evaluation, and for the *deferred* context, it is the opposite. But
it is also stated that in the *immediate *context, the expansion is done
while parsing, which would be contradictory, because as I understand the
evaluation is the process of parsing and internalizating.

I saw the:
3.8 How Makefiles Are Parsed
3.7 How make Reads a Makefile
but still can't catch it.