help-mcsim

Re: [Help-mcsim] MCSim on Cygwin

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Re: [Help-mcsim] MCSim on Cygwin
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:08:42 -0700

"Hansell, Timothy A CTR USAF AFMC 711 HPW/RHPB"
<address@hidden> writes:

> I'm coming at MCSim not so much as a biological modeling end user, but
> rather as a computer scientist who has been asked to evaluate, recommend and
> provide local support for such tools as would enhance the capabilities of
> our team of modelers. I'm more than willing to help improve the portability
> of MCSim if it would help make it more useful to us in the process.

Tim,

I just saw your note tonight, and I must say I'm not a biological
modeling end user, either.  I come at this from the field of system
dynamics, which normally uses commercial simulators such as Vensim and
iThink or STELLA.  http://facilitatedsystems.com/links.html#sd points to
a talk and a quick reference guide I created on MCSim, if it helps
anyone.

I agree that it's important to the larger picture to have MCSim work
across platforms.  When I first found it, I was running cygwin on XP,
and I seem to recall it compiling quite easily.  Unfortunately, that
wasn't the case when I tried it again recently, but I haven't had time
to get back to it in a few weeks.  I'll continue to try to make it work,
for I need (or want) to use it in my work where I am in a Windows
environment.

Bill
--
Bill Harris                      http://facilitatedsystems.com/weblog/
Facilitated Systems                              Everett, WA 98208 USA