help-recutils

Allow '-' in field names? Support for Debian's multi-line format?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Allow '-' in field names? Support for Debian's multi-line format?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 11:31:30 +0100

Hi.

Have you considered allowing '-' in field names?

Currently the field names seems to be hard-coded to
'[a-zA-Z%][a-zA-Z0-9_]*' in recutils.  Many files I encounter (e.g.,
Debian archive Releases/Packages files, RFC2822 e-mails) also allows
'-'.  How about changing the allowed field name regexp to
'[a-zA-Z%][a-zA-Z0-9_-]*'?

Debian uses a multi-line format like this:

Foo: bar
 baz
 foo
 .
 foo
 bar
 baz

What do you think of supporting that format as well?

I could look into implementing it, but I thought I'd ask first if this
has been discussed and rejected before for some reason that isn't clear
to me.

/Simon