help-serveez

Re: [help-serveez] Avoiding receive overflows

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: [help-serveez] Avoiding receive overflows
Date: 20 Dec 2002 09:09:56 +0100

Raimund 'Raimi' Jacob <address@hidden> writes:

> On 19 Dec 2002, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
> evening!
>
> > Is there a possibilty to block a socket, so it isn't selected for
> > reading in the server loop? IMO, it would make sense to only select a
>
> not that i knew of, no.
>
> > socket fd for reading if there is space in the receive buffer. This
> > way one could avoid reeceive buffer overflows completly...
>
> i dont think that this is worth the effort. usually the program runs a lot
> faster than any network device can supply enough data to fill up the
> buffers.

You can't really count on that /methinks.

> but feel free to send patches :-) perhaps such a check can be made when
> the select/poll structures are built. watch out to not include more
> overhead then you gain in speed...

I will send patches - this should be pretty trivial IMO. My cause for
really needing it is not that I handle the data too slow, but that I
don't want to handle the data at all when some condition holds (like
when simply forwarding the data to another socket, and that socket's
send buffer being full).

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden        | address@hidden |