help-serveez

[help-serveez] writing guile server

From: Chris Hall
Subject: [help-serveez] writing guile server
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:06:08 -1000

First, thanks for Serveez!  I think that I am going to like it a *lot*!

A couple of days ago on #guile, dsmith mentioned Serveez to me.

So I've downloaded, built and fired it up.

I like Serveez's framework a lot.  I think you guys have *nailed* it - a
great tool with a sensible approach, and something I can definitely use.

After several years of looking at, designing and building various web
apps, trying various things along the way, you have no idea how much
this appeals to me - and it seems to be most apps are somehow
web-enabled these days.

I first ran across the async-based server concept via Twisted for
python, did a bit of web searching and read a few papers, and was sold
on the idea.  So I tried Twisted, and it seems to work as advertised - I
developed an app and it rocked.

But I want to use a 'lisp' for development, especially for web apps, and
the state of server frameworks in the free (as in FSF) lisps, and most
non-commercial lisps really, is, at best, fragmented, to put it
politely.  And I just wasn't looking forward to doing yet another
select()-based thingy, which was starting to look like the only option.

I've done a fair amount of C development under some of the the older
windoses, but next to nothing under Linux, and absolutely none w/guile -
though all that may be about to change. ;)

And now I have some questions that I hope someone can help me answer:

  * From a quick look at the source, it seems that Serveez 'boots' a
    guile instance, and judging from the executable sizes, I'm guessing
    that the shared guile lib is getting loaded - is this true?  If so,
    does this mean that, for example, guile CGI scripts run by the
    Serveez HTTP server will use the already loaded shareable lib?

  * On a similar note, do any guile-based Serveez servers run in the
    context of the main Serveez guile interpreter, or are they somehow
    run in their own context?

  * I can't seem to find any guile interface to HTTP primitives - is
    this in fact the case, or am I overlooking something?

  * I am new to guile, but understand it to be designed for interfacing
    to C - so if there _aren't_ any guile HTTP primitives, was the HTTP
    server written with this in mind, so as to make this
    possible/easier?

Thanks again for a really nice framework - in today's world, this is a
'must have' for just about any language, I think.

Aloha,
+Chris

--
Welcome to America, Land of the Free*

*Some restrictions apply, void where prohibited.
-- found on /.