help-shishi

Debian Shishi integration: GSS-API library

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Debian Shishi integration: GSS-API library
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 12:43:16 +0200

Another problem is how to enable applications using GSS-API in Debian
to use Shishi.  The current model, to link applications against either
MIT or Heimdal, and in some cases (I think) provided packages built
against both MIT and Heimdal, seems several broken to me.  There also
seem to be both GSS and non-GSS versions of some packages, which also
seems broken to me.

I propose that all applications with GSS-API support should be built
with the GSS-API support by default, and link to a dummy
meta-GSS-library that will dlopen the respectively GSS-API
implementation depending on a configuration file.

Then, by default, all applications will support GSS-API, and the
administrator can decide which GSS-implementation she wish to use, by
installing the GSS-library and configure the meta-GSS library.

Solaris has something similar: it only has one GSS-library, but it can
load mechanisms depending on configurations in /etc/gss.conf (or
somewhere).  So all applications with GSS support link to the
GSS-library by default, but which mechanism is used is chosen at
run-time.

Thoughts?

Supporting this meta-GSS-library approach has been the goal of my GSS
library, but I've noticed that there is another library with a similar
goal that is in the Debian NEW queue, libgssapi from
<http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/>.

I haven't looked at it in detail though, so I'm not sure it actually
implements this the way I thought it would.

I'm also not sure whether they are interested in working on the things
that would be required to make what I'm thinking of happen.

There is also a license issue, the libgssapi stuff seem to require
export permissions from the USG to be exported from to U.S., and I'm
not sure if that permissions is granted for exports anywhere, which I
would have a problem with.  If that is the case, I'd prefer to improve
my GSS library to make it implement this approach.

/Simon