[Help-smalltalk] alpha (in the sense of DEC alpha) version soon availabl

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] alpha (in the sense of DEC alpha) version soon available
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:33:55 +0100 (CET)

Thanks to Ulf Dambacher and Dell, I've got an IA-64 account which
I used to fix the bugs (actually just one) that prevented gst from
working on 64-bit targets.

I'll now work on pipelining the interpreter, in order to take more
advantage of the IA-64's VLIW architecture.  This will be enabled
for the IA-64 only however until I'm sure that it does bring
performance improvements on other targets too.

Work on 2.0 is going on slowly... I hope to release it by Q2 2001
however.  I still have to test the type inferencing engine and to
test SPARC and PPC back-ends for the JIT.  Anybody with a Linux-SPARC
or Linux-PPC account to offer, possibly in Europe?!? (Solaris also
fine, so I'll have a machine to fix Solaris memory management, which does
not work in stable version too)