[Help-smalltalk] Newbie questions: use blox with local image; jit segfau

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Newbie questions: use blox with local image; jit segfault
Date: 04 Mar 2002 23:27:37 +0100

Hello,

I'm trying to learn GNU SmallTalk and having some issues.

 1. How to run the graphical browser for my *own* image?

I can run:'gst -qK blox/Run.st' fine. I get the graphical
browser. However, if I remember correctly, all image modifications are
store in the local shared image (in /usr/local): not very cool!

So I tried: 'export SMALLTALK_IMAGE=~/Installed/GNU-SmallTalk'

Now gst can be started in command line mode and when exiting a new image
is created in the above SMALLTALK_IMAGE directory. Fine.

However, I'm unable to use the graphical browser if SMALLTALK_IMAGE is
set to my local image location:
address@hidden:~/Installed/GNU-SmallTalk$ gst -qK blox/Run.st
GNU Smalltalk Ready

gst: Couldn't open file /home/david/Installed/GNU-SmallTalk/blox/Run.st

I understand the error message (due to the -K option). However, gst does
not run better if I remove the -K option:
address@hidden:~/Installed/GNU-SmallTalk$ gst blox/Run.st GNU Smalltalk
Ready

gst: Couldn't open file blox/Run.st

It is written in the doc that gst as an internal path of needed kernel
files. Isn't it true for blox related files?

Is it mandatory to have a fie named package? If true, what should I do
to include standard gst packages?

What should I do to be able to use the graphical browser on my local
image?

 2. gst with jit enabled segfault when accesing the menu of the
    graphical Transcript:

address@hidden:~$ which gst
/usr/local/Installed/GNU-Smalltalk-1.95.10-jit/bin/gst
address@hidden:~$ gst -qK blox/Run.st
GNU Smalltalk Ready

/usr/local/Installed/GNU-Smalltalk-1.95.10-jit/share/smalltalk/blox/Run.st:39:
Segmentation violation
BlockContext class>>#fromClosure:parent:
Erreur de segmentation <--- Segfault in French :)

My config: gst-1.95.10 --enable-jit on Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (woody),
           glibc 2.2, gcc 2.95.4, x86 processor

Thanks for any help,
Best regards,
david