Re: [Help-smalltalk] Memory leaks - how to find them?

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Memory leaks - how to find them?
Date: 29 May 2003 09:29:53 +0100

On Wed, 2003-05-28 at 18:02, Bonzini wrote:
> > It certainly does that... and it gets rid of the excess windows in the
> > Blox Browser test as well. I'm expecting a 10MB garbage collection on my
> > test image - I'll let you know!
>
> Ouch! That should be quite a stress test. :-)

It only went down to 4MB and stayed there. Pity. But I can't guarantee
that there were no nasty references that should have been cleared up.
That image was fairly well messed up.

> Can you please post your test code or send it to me privately?

Attached.

Files in on top of 'Browser' and 'Regex' (the latter is only used
briefly).

Execute

BLOX.BWindow rebuildWindowsOnStartup: true

and

BLOX.BWindow savePositions "Haven't managed to make this automatic yet"

Save image and restart.

So far, the windows rebuild themselves, including their menus. The two
major omissions are:

BCanvasObjects - haven't even looked at them.
Reconnecting the BLOXBrowser objects.

In principle the BLOXBrowser objects should already be connected, and
menu items like 'Save Image' and 'Exit without saving' do function, so I
think it is simply a question of prompting them to do an updates

Be gentle. It's an exploratory work so far.

Regards,

Mike