[Help-smalltalk] Re: Dictionary>>#addAll: fails

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Dictionary>>#addAll: fails
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 21:43:05 -0500

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 05:10 +0300, Jānis Rūcis wrote:
> I think the "this message expects a literal" thing is pretty weird.

The idea is to get the user thinking in terms of what good brace-syntax
for instances would be.  There are better ways to get a filled instance
than from: if you can't use brace-syntax.

> Since you're limiting yourself to Array literals anyway, why not add
> #asDictionary, or even #asWhatever, to Array?

Because the converting protocols get enough abuse as it is -- this is
not a conversion from one type to another.  Furthermore, that doesn't
extend to other collections unless you keep adding methods to Array.

--
;;; Stephen Compall ** http://scompall.nocandysw.com/blog **
Failure to imagine vast possibilities usually stems from a lack of