Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [bug] Inspect often fails

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [bug] Inspect often fails
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:24:16 +1300

Can you provide a simple way to reproduce this?

Centos 5.2 64 bit gst 3.1.

There are issues with the inspect method and the class method. I'll send you screenshots off-list for the "inspect" method issue. Essentially it brings up a blank gst-blox window whether inspect is called from interpreter or from a script. The terminal windows has to be closed to remove the blank Inspect window.

Secondly the class method issue.
First of all, check with the interpreter and it is fine

$ gst
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> j := 3.
3
st> j class.
SmallInteger
st>

And now running a script...
$ cat displayclass.st
j := 3.
Transcript showCr: 'before'.
Transcript showCr: j class.
Transcript showCr: 'after'.

$ gst displayclass.st
before
Object: SmallIntegerObject: SmallIntegerObject: Semaphore new "<0x2b69f6c7bd40>"Object: Semaphore new "<0x2b69f6c7bd40>"Object: Semaphore new "<0x2b69f6c7bd40>"Object: Semaphore new "<0x2b69f6c7bd40>"

Note: the script hangs after printing 'Object: SmallInteger', so then I push <ctrl><C>, at which point it prints 'Object: SmallInteger' again. From then on pressing <Ctrl><C> prints out ...Object: Semaphore new "<0x2b69f6c7bd40>" . The terminal window has to be closed.

Note: It seems that these issues only occur on a Centos system with a working X Windows and gst-blox. If the system doesn't have X Windows and working gst-blox, then the 'class' and the 'inspect' method work.