[Help-smalltalk] Re: Transcript cf printNl

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Transcript cf printNl
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 18:58:14 +0100

Stephen Woolerton wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> This may help, In a script...
>
> 5 class prinNl. "succeeds"
> Transcript show: (5 class)  "crashes"
>
> Same thing if I substitute 'inspect' instead of 'class'. It works with
> printNl and crashes if going through Transcript.

1) If you mean, "hangs", this is fixed by the RecursionLock changes.
Note you can plug them in an existing image with

  Transcript instVarAt: 1 put: RecursionLock new

2) If you mean, "errors out", that's because Transcript show: only
accepts strings right now.  It is a synonym for "nextPutAll:".

I might make it a synonym for "display:" instead.  Before going on
blindly, mailing list people, what do you think?  This will have a
change for  "Transcript show: #($a $b $c)", i.e.

st> Transcript show: #($a $b $c)   "how it is now"
abc

st> Transcript display: #($a $b $c)   "how it would be"
($a $b $c )