Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on OS X with native GTK

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on OS X with native GTK
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:11:46 +0200

On 10/13/2009 12:05 AM, Eli Green wrote:

It is not what I would call stable or even usable; a few windows that
don't draw themselves, a lot of spinning beach balls (the "Window is not
responding to events" indicator in OS  X).

It would be interesting to know if the X11 version has the same bugs, so as to pinpoint bugs or differences in GTK-Quartz. It seems usable to me under both X11 and Window, and GTK-Quartz is the most experimental GTK backend.

From what I can see,
VisualGST is written directly against the Gtk libraries so it's not like
somebody could simply implement a Cocoa version of Blox or equivalent.
Has any thought been given to placing an abstraction library between GST
and the native platform libraries or is GTK going to be the solution
going forward?

Native-themed GTK, plus maybe a simple wrapper for the GTK-on-Mac libraries that fix the menu bar, is probably good enough.

Blox is good enough for simple things, but really implementing a complete modern UI class library is too much. If I was starting from scratch, maybe it would make sense to reimplement Cocoa in Smalltalk, but that would be an incredible amount of work. This is not to say Blox is bad---it used to be a small Xt wrapper and it has been made into a wrapper for Tk and (partly) GTK+, so it turned out to be way more flexible than it was meant to be.

Thanks for the build recipe! I didn't think it would be difficult, just untested. I had tested the various parts using the .pc files from gtk-osx.org, but I had never done a full build. Can you put it in the wiki, or shall I? Also, did you really need "--enable-gtk=yes"? It should be done automatically.