Re: [Help-smalltalk] Anyone willing to maintain the Squeak port of Iliad

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Anyone willing to maintain the Squeak port of Iliad?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:41:50 +0100

>  1) what classes are different and why

Except for the encoder, the code is basically the same. Things like
files handling, TimeStamp/DateTime are different, but using rewrite
scripts make the conversion easier.

The extract the encoder and other different parts in a package Iliad-GST and Iliad-Squeak, as a start.

Yes, I guess that's possible, thanks to gst-convert, with a script like
this one:
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/faq/169
but doing the opposite.

Try it! :-)

Remember that gst-convert output need to be piped into "tr \\n \\r" for Squeak/Pharo to use it succesfully.

>  Deciding on the namespace vs. prefix issue will also help figuring out
>  how to automate the conversion as much as possible.

We decided to add the "IL" prefix to the classes of the gst version. We
will keep the namespace, though.

The namespace is harmless, and I applaud the decision as ugly as it may be. I think if you write on the Squeak and Pharo lists talking about the above steps (it basically looks like it is a matter of scripting the loading of .cs files produced by gst-convert) you can find a volunteer more easily.