Re: [Help-smalltalk] Question on translating some code from VisualSmallt

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Question on translating some code from VisualSmalltalk to GST..
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 08:07:22 -0700

By the way.. In the off chance this might be of interest to someone
down the road.. It turns out that Microsoft's docx format is actually
a zip file with a bunch of XML files embedded within subfolders.. You
could, in theory, write some code to parse the XML file(s) and re-write
when the necessary changes have been made.. However, the auto-genned XML
is not pretty by any means!

In my case I've decided to go with a brute-force method and will have
my code generate some 'sed' commands to make the necessary updates to an RTF template file I will have available -- that would be WAY easier than either dealing with RTF writing or monkeying around with MS's docx files
or even easier than building HTML output for reading by MS Word..
(which is my end goal)

Thanks all! I will keep trudging forward!