[Help-smalltalk] Memory management, OOM, Exceptions

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Memory management, OOM, Exceptions
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 21:00:21 +0200

Dear Paolo,

I have some questions regarding the memory management of GST. There
are two unrelated questions below.

1.) 'reducing' memory usage. Is there an easy way to reduce the
memory footprint (e.g. less objects, less oldspace.. etc)? Would it
make sense to introduce a 'small' profile for gst and gst-remote?
Maybe another profile for a lot of memory as well.

2.) For my fakebts (debian packages here[1]) I write code like this..

gst> 1 to: 10000 do: [:unused | [test requireAnyChannel] fork ].

now this can easily generate an OOM and cause an abortion..

gst> 1 to: 10000 do: [:unused |
        [test requireAnyChannel. ObjectMemory compact] fork]

is 'working' on the other hand. I wonder if there could be a better
solution? In Pharo I think there is a OOM watcher task, I wonder if
one could reserve like three contexts.. and triger a cleaner task
once the memory is running low?

holger

[1] http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/zecke23/Debian_6.0/