Re: [Help-smalltalk] Regarding GSOC 2014 idea - Smalltalk in Smalltalk

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Regarding GSOC 2014 idea - Smalltalk in Smalltalk
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 21:46:42 +0100

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 02:17:41AM +0100, Pankaj Khanchandani wrote:
> Hi,

Good Evening,

sorry for the delay. I was traveling the last few days.

> My name is Pankaj and I am studying Master's in Computer Science at
> Saarland University, Germany. I took a course on Compiler Construction this
> semester and became very interested in the topic. I want to work on the
> GSOC idea Smalltalk in Smalltalk. The description talks about improving the
> Smalltalk compiler written in C.
> Can you help me with some pointers and details to look into this further so
> that I can form a GSOC proposal?

The C work I put on the GNU.org website is mostly about making the code
more modern, removing global state. The code that needs to be changed is
the copmpiler. The compiler is already optimizing a lot so we more need
structure for multi threaded access, unit tests, etc.

holger