Re: [Help-smalltalk] Creating new instance variables in a dynamically cr

From: Mark Bratcher
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Creating new instance variables in a dynamically created class in gst-remote
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2015 15:13:04 -0400

Thank you, Holger. I'll explore the options. As always, I appreciate the
prompt response.

Mark

On 9/5/2015 2:28 PM, Holger Freyther wrote:
On 05 Sep 2015, at 19:24, Mark Bratcher <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello
Hi!

I narrowed it down specifically to the instance variable declarations. If I
simply add these declarations and nothing else, I get the error. I'm adding
instance variables using the common approach:

   MyClass extend [
        | newVariable |    "Remove this, the error goes away"

        ...   "Various selectors added for extension"
   ]

How can we figure out why this error occurs? I can try to put together a very
minimal Seaside app to reproduce it in that context if needed.
I am afraid it is a known issue. When using gst-remote (the scripts/Remote.st)
the Smalltalk In Smalltalk (STinST) parser is being used to parse your extension
and it doesn’t seem to handle instance variables.

With my time constraints I just maned to switch the order, load my code before
gst-remote is being used. :(

The STInST package is in packages/stinst/parser and based on the refactory
browser. With the Converter.st there are some examples. I used VisualGST in
the past to debug it but then renamed the namespace so I would use a different
parser than VisualGST is using itself. There are also some testcases that could
be serve as an example.

holger