help-stow

[Help-stow] stow problem

From: Lars Hecking
Subject: [Help-stow] stow problem
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:02:23 +0000

 Hi all,

 I would like to use stow to clean up the current mess in /usr/local,
 but due to our particular setup here, it doesn't seem possible. This
 setup cannot be changed without major breakage.

 /usr/local is set up as follows to facilitate multiple architectures:

 - fstab mounts /usr/local-mount from a central server
   this directory contains
   arch1
   arch2
   archN
   share

 - /usr/local is a symlink to /usr/local-mount/$archN

 /usr/local/share is the home directory of a non-root user that owns
 everything under /usr/local-mount, and /usr/local/share itself is a
 symlink to ../share, i.e. the central share directory directly under
 /usr/local-mount. With this setup, said non-root user has the same
 home directory regardless of which platform this user logs into.

$ cd /usr/local
$ ls -ld share
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     other           8 Feb 15  1999 share -> ../share/

 The /usr/local/share directory already contains all kinds of stuff
 that is archictecture independent, e.g. man pages:

$ cd /usr/local
$ ls -ld man
 lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     users           9 Feb 15  1999 man -> share/man/

 Problem is, this setup seems to be completely incompatible with stow.
 It reports conflicts for all these symlinks, /usr/local/share being the
 most critical one. Of course, instead of /usr/local I could use some
 other directory as target directory, but that would make things more
 complicated.

 Any thoughts how to tackle this problem?

 (I am not subscribed to this list. Please reply directly or Cc:. Thanks!)