help-stow

Re: [Help-stow] Installing without root privileges in /usr/local

From: enclair
Subject: Re: [Help-stow] Installing without root privileges in /usr/local
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:55:37 +0100

Le 10 mars 2012 19:13, Adam Spiers <address@hidden> a écrit :
On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM, enclair <address@hidden> wrote:
> Another thing I don't understand is the GNU Emacs example.
> The documentation mention the "new" prefix, but never the old prefix. So I
> don't know which is the value of the old prefix, and which is the value of
> the new prefix.

The "old" prefix is the value specified to ./configure, which 'make
install' will use by default if the "new" prefix is not given.  I
agree the wording could be improved.

Ok I think I understand now this example.
Thanks for your answers.
Finally I think I'll keep stow to install packages in $HOME/local(/stow) instead of $HOME/opt like I did before.
For packages in /usr/local I've changed my mind and I will use rpm instead.