help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] Merge incremental backups created by tar -g

From: CUI Hao
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] Merge incremental backups created by tar -g
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 23:25:51 +0800

Thank you for answering.

> And that's not. You use old snapshot file here (testbk) and that
> instructs tar to archive only those files that have changed since this
> file was created. For example, if nothing has changed, the test01.tar
> will be effectively empty (it will contain only the directory structure,
> not files). This is hardly what you need.
Sorry I didn't make it clear that test0.tar is the first full dump. So
test01.tar shouldn't be empty.
I want it to be the new full dump in place of test0.tar.

> When listing or extracting, snapshot file is not used, but it is
> required syntactically (because the -g option requires an argument).
I don't think so. It's because snapshot file is provided that tar will
delete files that should be deleted correctly, instead of extracting
every file directly.