help-tar

Re: [Help-tar] File compression

From: Siva Nesan
Subject: Re: [Help-tar] File compression
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 13:58:40 +0530

Hi

Below are the commands that i am executing in both the servers.
tar -cvf $EXPT/$SRC.tar $app/$SRC;
gzip -c $EXPT/$SRC.tar > $EXPT/$SRC$DATE.tar.gz;

Below are the warnings that i get, no errors
 WARNING - 1040152 - Failed to load ZT library.
 WARNING - 1040156 - SSL initialization failed with error code [1040152]..
Thanks & Regards,
Shiva

On 24 February 2016 at 13:26, Pavel Raiskup <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tuesday 23 of February 2016 18:36:54 Siva Nesan wrote:
> I am creating a tar.gz file in two different AIX servers of same versions.
> size of the files are similar, however size of the tar.gz files are very
> different. one is 6GB and another is 50GB. Please advise if anything can be
> done to investigate.

Hi Siva, I believe it is GNU tar ..  Are there sparse files involved?  Is
tar returning with error exit status?  Which options have you turned on
while you created those tarballs?

Pavel

--
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.