help-tar

Re: tar stripping leading / in paths in options in file list

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: tar stripping leading / in paths in options in file list
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 08:49:44 +0200

Hi Antonin,

Thanks for your report.

> The fact that the behavior in the command line and in the file list is
> different lets me think that this is a bug and paths given in options
> in the file list shouldn't be stripped of leading / characters.

Yes, you are right.  I have pushed the following fix:

   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/tar.git/commit/?id=e5bc23efcc

As an (almost) unrelated note:

> cat <<EOF > manifest
> -P

This option cannot be used in the file list.  For a list of options
allowed for use in file lists, please see

http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Position_002dSensitive-Options.html

Best regards,
Sergey