Re: translations of GNU manuals

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: translations of GNU manuals
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:48:21 -0500

    How should I organize /doc in the parted distributation for translations
    of parted.texi?

/doc?  Do you mean /info?  Or are does make install also install the
Texinfo source (generally this is not done)?

As you say, I don't think there are any standards about this.  It would
seem reasonable to have language-specific subdirectories, as in
$(infodir)/fr, $(infodir)/de, etc.  Or maybe fr_FR, de_DE, etc., I don't
know enough say.  Unfortunately, there is no particular support for this.

The only Texinfo manual translation I'm aware of was simply called
info-fr.texi, which is not an especially good model to follow.

What do you do for the plaintext versions now?

I will ask around about this.

    Are there any other issues with i18n and texi?  We were using plaintext,
    and are currentyl switching to texinfo.

Well, you'll find Texinfo's support for languages other than English is
painfully lacking, in general :(.  But it is possible ...