Re: [help-texinfo] @cindex \command

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] @cindex \command
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 01:05:54 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> > From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
> > Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:32:22 +0200
> > Cc: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
> >

> > To index LilyPond \commands used troughout the reference manual
> > properly, we need to have something like
> >
> >     @macro refcommand{WHAT}
> >     @cindex @address@hidden
> >     @code{\WHAT\},
> >     @end macro
>
> Good God, what on Earth for?  Why use @cindex for commands, when you
> have @findex and @pindex (and @syncodeindex to put them all, each one
> in the right typeface, in the same index, if you really need to)?

@syncodeindex, that's a good one. I guess we will ask our
Documentation Editor to convert the @cindex entries to the appropriate
index command.

> And why the macro? is it only to avoid typing the command name one
> more time or am I missing something?

Because we want to have some flexibility in how we structure and
layout the document. Using a macro for every concept makes sure that
each concept uses a uniform style across the manual, and it makes
changing styles easy.