[help-texinfo] diacritical marks in @ commands

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: [help-texinfo] diacritical marks in @ commands
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:09:35 -0600

Hello,

I want to generate .info files from .texi which has diacritical marks in
@ commands. The diacriticals are indicated by texinfo
commands like @, and @'  (they're not just typed in).

Here is an example of @defvr. I find that @node and @section are
similarly confused (string broken before @' or other special character).

@defvr declaraci@'on MAINVAR
 - Usted puede declarar variables para que sean MAINVAR(variables
 principales). Para escalas de ordenamiento de  @'atomos (N.T. Puede

which is rendered by makeinfo as

 - declaraci: ^@'on MAINVAR
     - Usted puede declarar variables para que sean MAINVAR(variables
     principales). Para escalas de ordenamiento de  a'tomos (N.T. Puede

Here is another example. The accent is shown as a separate character
instead of being combined with the i as a single character.

@defvr {s@'address@hidden especial} NOEVAL
 - sumprime la fase de evaluaci@'on de EV. Esto es @'util en
 la conjunci@'on con otras opciones y causando que expresiones

rendered as

 - si'mbolo especial: NOEVAL
     - sumprime la fase de evaluacio'n de EV. Esto es u'til en la
     conjuncio'n con otras opciones y causando que expresiones sean

What do I need to do to make makeinfo happy with diacriticals?

I did read the manual, and I did search the email archive.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this problem.

Robert Dodier