Re: [help-texinfo] category system for texinfo

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] category system for texinfo
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:56:56 -0700

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your reply.

> It's a good question.  From your description, it occurs to me that this
> seems close to an "index of categories".  So I wonder if Texinfo's index
> commands can help a bit.

Just to clarify, I'd like to write

@deffn {Function} myfn
Frobnicates its argument.
Blah blah blah.
@mycategory{Cat2}
@mycategory{Cat3}
@end deffn

i.e., myfn is still a Function from texinfo's point of view.
Ideally there is an automatically-generated

@node Cat2
@section Cat2
Yadda yadda yadda.
@table @code
@ref{myfn}                      Frobnicates its argument.
@ref{myotherfn}              Returns null for all x.

generated from just the "Yadda yadda yadda" (dunno
where that comes from) and the first lines of the @deffn's .

I'll look at the commands for generating indices to see
if I can get texinfo to generate some/all of the stuff in
the nodes for the categories.

Thanks for your help,

Robert Dodier