Re: [help-texinfo] Generate an index of texinfo manual

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Generate an index of texinfo manual
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 12:09:15 +0200

> From: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:20:30 -0600
>
> I've been pawing thru this group and googling to find a few commands
> to generate an index from a manual already in texinfo format.

You mean, already in Info format, I presume.  There's no way of doing
that; the indexing commands must be present in the Texinfo sources of
the manual, and then the contents of one or more Index nodes will be
produced in the Info manual when the Info manual is generated from its
Texinfo sources.

>   C h i m gawk <RET>
>
> Brings up the gawk manual alright but then pressing `i' for an index
> search tells me `no index'.

Please look at the beginning of gawk.info that you have installed with
a text file viewer (e.g., Less or `more'), and tell what do you see
there.  This is what I have in the manual that came with Gawk 3.1.6
(the latest released version):

    INFO-DIR-SECTION Text creation and manipulation
    START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
    This is gawk.info, produced by makeinfo version 4.11 from gawk.texi.

    * Gawk: (gawk).                 A text scanning and processing language.
    END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
    INFO-DIR-SECTION Individual utilities
    START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
    * awk: (gawk)Invoking gawk.                     Text scanning and
processing.
    END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY

       Copyright (C) 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000,
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

       This is Edition 3 of `GAWK: Effective AWK Programming: A User's
    Guide for GNU Awk', for the 3.1.6 (or later) version of the GNU
    implementation of AWK.

According to ChangeLog, Gawk manuals had an index at least since 2002.