[help-texinfo] Spacing after semi-colon?

From: Tim Landscheidt
Subject: [help-texinfo] Spacing after semi-colon?
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 22:29:55 +0000

Hi,

browsing the Texinfo (4.13) manual, one issue bugged me.
"14.3.4 address@hidden' VAL: Control sentence spacing"
starts with:

| In American typography, it is traditional and correct to put extra
| space at the end of a sentence, after a semi-colon, and so on.  This is
| the default in Texinfo.  In French typography (and many others), this
| extra space is wrong; all spaces are uniform.
                      ^^
This is contradictory; in fact, a quick search through the
manual showed only one instance of a double-space following
a semi-colon. Could this section be clarified for the non-
native speakers?

Tim